Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Course Reserves: Uploading E-Reserves

Guide to using Library E-Reserves and Print Reserves Services

Uploading E-Reserves

You can upload a PDF yourself by selecting "I'll Upload A File" at the end of the Add a Reserve Item form.

Once you submit the form, if "I'll Upload A File" is selected, you will get a new page where you can choose the file from your computer and upload it. Your file will need to be reviewed by staff before it goes live on the Course Reserves tab for your course. 

Please be sure you have copyright permission to share a file with your course before submitting. In the case of a book, check to see if the section you're scanning is less than 20% of the entire work. If it is less than 20%, you can then check to see if the book allows copying by searching for the ISBN and publisher through Access Copyright. If both of those criteria are met, you can scan and upload the PDF. The file should be 300dpi for optimum readability.

When in doubt about copyright allowance, contact the E-Reserves department or select "Please Find It" when entering your reserve request so staff can assess the request. 

For more detailed information about what is allowable under copyright law, visit the Copyright on Campus webpage. 

Assessing Allowable Uploads

Uploading other types of content, such as those found online, is allowable in some instances.

Journal articles from library licensed databases: 

Some journal databases allow users to upload copies of articles to e-reserves, but many do not. 

There are a couple of ways to check if uploading a PDF from a database is allowable. The E-Journal Portal on the library website provides information about how licensing works for each individual journal available through the library and its databases. You can search journals by title to see what databases they're available in and what the allowances are for that database. Depending on the title, some may be available in various databases and come with a large variety of allowances. Take Art Bulletin for example:

You can also obtain information about what databases allow uploading to Learning Management systems through the library's "Databases A-Z" guide. Next to most database listings you will see an "i" icon. 

Clicking that icon will allow you to access more information such as terms of use, which will provide information about licensing allowances.

In most cases it is best link back to the database using a stable URL. For information on linking to databases, see the Linking E-Reserves section of this guide.

Open Access and Creative Commons licensed work:

Typically, works that are open access, public domain and under Creative Commons licenses allow the free distribution of work. In most cases it is best to link to the work where it is available online.

In all cases, E-Reserves staff will review the entries to ensure they meet copyright allowances before they go live.